Hey there! Well, here we are. Part two to last week’s blog where I blogged about reflecting on the time when I was a child trying to imagine what the year 2020 would look like; what my life would be like.
I imagined that I would be happily married with at minimum 2 children and maximum 4—ideally with the same number of boys and girls. I imagined that I’d be a broadcaster on the radio or television; and that I’d be a model and business woman. Back then, when I wasn’t outside jumping rope and playing, I was watching television or listening to music on the radio. So, I imagined that I’d be a star actress and singer too. I imagined that I would have so much money that I could buy a huge mansion so that my whole family could live with me! Goodness! Didn’t I have big dreams?
This past September I challenged us all to reflect, re-evaluate, and make adjustments to year end goals for our lives (careers and business included). Well, I not only reflected on the last year but also on the last 40 years. Last year I missed the mark personally, career, and business related. For the most part, I simply maintained or experienced slight growth in a few areas. However, when I reflected over the last 40 years, I was truly amazed. Take a look at all that has happened…
- I was once happily married.
- I am a mother.
- I was a radio broadcaster for combined 16 years and am now an internet broadcaster. (I now want a broadcasting company.)
- I have met, interviewed and talked with national and international leaders, celebrities, musicians, authors, etc.
- I graduated from modeling school as a teenager and modeled in fashion shows over the years.
- I started my first dba business in the late 1980s offering secretarial/general business, and public relations services. It is now a dba business offering media, advertising, and marketing opportunities to other businesses as well as serving as the production arm of my weekly broadcast on the internet.
- While my name is not on marquees “On Broadway” or “Off Broadway” for that matter, I have had the opportunities to perform on stage in a few local productions; and even had an experience of a lifetime performing in one of the episodes of the television hit, Empire. (Although, if you blink, you’d miss me! LoL!)
- As for singing, well, I’ve sung in church and school choirs; and since becoming host of my own radio show in the mid-2000s, I’ve sang along with some of my favorite artists as well as performed on my Christmas Celebration shows.
- I don’t have enough money to purchase a big mansion, yet, which is okay because family members have their own desires for their living locations/spaces. And, besides, I now want subdivisions, not just a mansion.
Okay, so clearly I have not achieved the monetary or fame level that many associate with success. In fact, some of you are probably thinking, oh how insignificant the experiences are Marilyn. However, don’t you find it amazing that I have managed to do that which I imagined myself doing as a child? Keep in mind that in some cases, I did not seek out the opportunities that I referenced above. They came to me; and the others I pursued or created for myself. God is amazing! While I was harping on missing the mark in the last year, he caused me to remember that which had been accomplished over the last 40 years! I hope you reflect back over the last 10, 20, 30, 40+ years too.
What’s even more amazing is how the various jobs and career opportunities that I had over the years prepared me for the bigger picture. You all some of those job/career opportunities I pursued and others I accepted reluctantly. However, the skill sets, the knowledge, the people contacts, and the overall experiences were priceless. Sometimes what looks like a setback is actually necessary for your further development. Right?! All right, so nevertheless, I still feel like I/you have some resetting to do. And, if you can relate at all be sure to stay with me as we take this journey together to become better as well as move closer to our goals.
On the next show, we’ll reset by remembering “the why”. Tune in this Saturday, January 18th, 2020 on https://www.youtube.com/MarilynsCafeSociety. Be sure to “like”, subscribe, share, and/or follow my social media platforms at marilynscafesoc on Twitter; Marilyn’s Café Society on Facebook, YouTube; and marilynscafesociety.com. Peace.
Live. Laugh. Love.