What’s happening, my friends? I truly hope that you are having a wonderful week. Those of us who have been advocating for Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable, the Founding Father of the City of Chicago, are! Why? You ask. Here’s the deal…
On this day, Thursday, April 29, 2021, the City of Chicago Transportation and Public Ways Committee voted YES to the ordinance that will rename the iconic Lake Shore Drive to Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable Drive–specifically, the outer Lake Shore Drive north to Hollywood Blvd. and south past 67th Street. Recall that this vote was delayed 10 days ago when allegedly some members of the Transportation Committee along with some City officials made political moves to block the vote. As a result, Committee Chair and 21st Ward Alderman Howard Brookins Jr. called for the delay. However, on today, after many clarifications, much discussion, and heated arguments, (2 hours worth), he, Alderman David Moore, and Alderman Patrick D. Thompson called for the passing of the ordinance; and the vote was unanimous. Now the ordinance will go before the full City Council meeting that is set for Wednesday, May 26th, 2021.
The ordinance was initially proposed in the fall of 2019 by the sponsor 17th Ward Alderman David Moore and co-sponsored by 4th Ward Alderwoman Sophia King. The Black Heroes Matter Coalition joined in to support and requested additional actions for the city to take that would properly honor it’s founder, Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable.
Thank you to all who supported this effort. Note, however, that the work is not done. This ordinance must pass in the City Council meeting in May. We now ask you to call for the City of Chicago to tell them to vote YES to rename outer Lake Shore Drive to DuSable Drive. The actions…
- Call the city at 312/744-6800 early morning two days before Wednesday, May 26th, 2021 which is the full Council meeting to speak during public speaking session. Leave a message and your phone number.
- Note, if you are selected to speak, someone will call you with instructions and a call-in time along with phone, meeting, and passcode numbers. During the meeting, your name will be called and you will only have 3 minutes to comment so keep it short and sweet.
- *introduce yourself as a member, friend, OR supporter of BHM
- *state purpose for calling which is to for the YES vote to rename LSD to DuSable Drive.
- *if time permits, tell them why you believe it’s important to rename outer LSD to Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable Drive. You may also remind them of the two other initiatives that are in the works– an official city holiday in his honor; and at least a 25ft monument centrally located in Grant Park.
- Call your Alderperson if you live in Chicago. Click here for the list of phone numbers.
- During the month of May, call the Mayor’s office requesting that she call for the Full City Council YES vote on renaming outer Lake Shore Drive to Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable during the next meeting set for May 26th, 2021. The phone numbers are 312/744-7415, 312/744-1515, or 312/744-3320.
Again, thank you for your continued support.
Also, remember to go to https://www.blackheroesmatter.org to sign the petition; download the flyer to share via email, etc.; and donate!
In the meantime, my friends, stay safe and be well. Remember to strengthen your immune system by eating healthy and taking a good multi-vitamin; wear your mask; watch your distance; and wash your hands often. In Jesus Name. Amen. And, so it is.
The broadcasts are posted on https://youtube.com/MarilynsCafeSociety. Also, check out marilynscafesociety.com. And, be sure to connect to my social media from there as well as “like”, “subscribe”, “share”, and “follow”. Peace.
Live. Laugh. LOVE.